Senior software engineer with over 15 years experience crafting high quality web and mobile applications. Very interested in making your life easier, and mine too! I care deeply about wielding technology to build great products and experiences. I’ve worked on doing just that at every layer of the stack:
- extensive experience iterating on meticulously-detailed frontends for client sites, interactive experiences, and web applications
- at the API level efficiently piping and transforming data between backend and frontend with considerations around concurrency and authentication
- at the very backend working on a Scala-based in-memory distributed columnar data store for eBay which powered real-time analytics for seller tools
- as a Site Reliability Engineer creating automation, standards, and modern container-based infrastructure in public and private clouds
I’m a huge proponent of using automation to make processes more efficient and repeatable. I build an open source chat bot called Yetibot which we increasingly use for ChatOps to run internal automation.
I’m obsessed with discovering better ways of expressing solutions to programming problems. I abhor boilerplate, repetitive code or senseless abstraction. This has led me down a path of ongoing language discovery, from:
- middle ages in C# and ActionScript 3, Ruby and Python, Java
- up to modern day using Scala with Scalaz (and investigating Cats), Clojure and ClojureScript, Datalog (via Datomic), some Swift, some Haskell, and a tiny bit of Elm
The past several years I’ve been on a quest to bring more rigor to my understanding and use of programming, and have become a bit of a Functional Programming zealot in the process.
Most of my post topics are areas I wanted to better understand, and writing
about them was a way to achieve that. I don’t claim to be an expert in
everything I write about. If you have any type of feedback, good or bad, please
leave it in the comments. If you’d like to chat, I usually hang out on
devth, or you can Tweet @devth.
I currently work remotely on a globally-distributed team for a seed-stage startup based in San Francisco and live in Montana with my wife and three kids. I’m an aspiring electronics tinkerer, musician, climber, mountain biker and cyclist, learner, avid listener of music, and maker of things.